Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program
The Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program brings journalists from across Central Asia to the United States for individual residencies designed to increase professional standards, increase the credibility and accuracy of participants’ reporting, and bolster independent media in Central Asia. Journalists-in-Residence participate in intensive month-long exchanges at American media organizations and journalism training at local universities. Through these residencies, Journalists-in-Residence explore the structure and operations of American media outlets and strengthen their understanding of disinformation and source verification.
This initiative aims to develop a cross-regional network of Central Asian independent journalists and media organizations. Journalists-in-Residence participate as part of a small cohort, collaborating during their time in the U.S. and upon their return to Central Asia continue to engage with a broader network of regional journalists, including through the GoViral network (http://goviral.kz/en/).
The Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program is part of the Central Asia Journalism Program funded by the State Department and implemented by Meridian International Center.
Application and Selection
• Citizen, national, or resident of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan
• At least one year of relevant work experience
Applications must be submitted online:
As part of the online application, applicants are required to submit the following in English:
• Resume/Curriculum Vitae
• Signed letter of recommendation from a current or former supervisor
• Three (3) examples of recent work
Applicants are currently being accepted for fall 2019 residencies. Applications must be submitted by Friday, May 10,
2019 5:00pm Eastern U.S. time (GMT – 4h).
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following selection criteria:
• Relevant experience and recent work in the field
• Leadership and commitment to career growth, positive attitude, and initiative
• Commitment to develop a network of Central Asian independent journalist and media outlets
• Strong English language skills
If you have any questions, please contact the Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Team at CAJIR@meridian.org.